Peoples Presbyterian Church was started as the First Presbyterian Church of Milan in 1878. In 1921, with an influx of members from a local Baptist congregation, First Presbyterian Church was reorganized as Peoples Church (Presbyterian) under Rev. Thomas Leith. Peoples Church, which had until this point existed on North Street, was burned to the ground on January 11, 1951. Thankfully, Rev. Leroy Cabbage was undeterred and led the church in both a name change, to Peoples Presbyterian Church, and the ground breaking of our new building on Smith Street. The new church and Hammond organ were dedicated in 1953.
The 1960s brought our next long-term pastor, the Reverend Vern Campbell. During Vern’s tenure the church grew in membership, organ pipes, handbells, stained glass windows, and building size! It was a busy period for Peoples and the Campbell family! Rev. Campbell retired in 1995. Doris is still our organist, and plays every Sunday and for every special event.
(pictured left: Rev. Vern Campbell and Doris Ann Campbell)
In the past decade, Peoples has welcomed a number of pastors. The building was expanded, yet again, for the addition of a youth room, chapel, and columbarium. A beautiful mural was painted by our Vacation Bible School Artist in Residence, Joel Schoon Tanis, along with help from Peoples members and children in 2009.
Peoples is a church looking with excitement toward the future God has set before us. We are grateful for the gifts and talents of the men and women who have made us what we are today, and we pray for the continued care and leadership of this church.